NEWS & Events
Yale CBIT hosts events and hackathons for Yale faculty and students to explore innovation or take a deep dive into a topic of interest. View recent news from the Yale CBIT community.
Faculty Innovator Spotlight: Dr. Maxwell Laurans
RxAll grabs $3.15M to scale its drug checking and counterfeiting tech across Africa
Innovator Spotlight: Dr. Amber Childs on the current mental health crisis and identifying as an entrepreneur
How Tsai CITY Venture Advisors Support Student Founders
Hacking Patient Engagement at the 2023 Yale Healthcare Hackathon
Clinical Pitch Night: Connecting Yale’s Healthcare Innovators
Yale alumni receive $30k prize for medical device design
WoW Women in FemTech | Markea and Debbie Dickinson, founders of Thermaband
Yale Researchers Develop Injection to Treat Skin Cancer
School of Public Health alum’s startup Pills2Me relaunches in New Haven
Visionairy Health Secures CE Marking for its AI-Based X-Ray Triage Tool
Spring Health Notches A $190 Million Series C At A $2 Billion Valuation, Making CEO April Koh The Youngest Woman To Run A Unicorn
Yale Public Health: Innovating for the Public Good
NeuroNetworks Fund Leads $300,000 Seed Financing for MindNest Health, a Yale University Spinout
Eight Connecticut Teams Awarded BioScience Pipeline Grants to Advance Human Health
Yale CBIT hosts the annual Yale Healthcare Hackathon, bringing together individuals from Yale and the world to work together and solve the most pressing problems in healthcare.
Students, staff, and faculty from across the medical campus and university gather and listen to short pitches by clinicians on novel solutions to medical needs. The goal is for clinical leads and interested individuals to meet one another, form interdisciplinary teams, develop and commercialize these ideas to improve patient experience and clinical outcomes.
- Inside the Mind of a Biomedical Innovator: Participants take a look inside “a day in the life” of a diverse group of surgeons, physicians, and researchers with innovative ideas who took novel ideas forward and developed a product. In a discussion-style format, participants hear how these innovators started their ventures learning details about their idea, how it originated, why there was a need for a solution, challenges in the early days of getting it up and off the ground, and where the opportunity is now.
- Design to Empower: In an effort to empower people of various backgrounds and health literacy levels to take charge of their health decisions by designing more effective medical decision tools, this highly interactive workshop offers prototype development and real-time feedback. Tools help patients weigh their options making choices to best fit their values, preferences, & goals. The program is offered in partnership with the Center for Outcomes and Research & Evaluation (CORE).
- Clinical Redesign: Participants collaborate with YNHH’s elite clinical and project team that tackles and completes challenges on 90-day cycles. They learn how a hospital system operates, what the decision matrix looks like, and help the team solve current challenges facing the hospital system. This intensive is offered in partnership with TsaiCITY and YNHH.
- Health Data Sandbox: Innovators take a deep dive into FHIR, SMART, and Epic EMR architecture and gain access to a synthetic data sandbox. Working in teams, the participants are paired with senior mentors and create their own projects. This intensive is offered in partnership with TsaiCITY and YNHHS.
- MedTech Accelerator: The accelerator is a multi-week program that invites creative students from all disciplines to design and build the next wave of medical technologies to fulfill unmet needs in the healthcare industry. Resources provided include lectures, one-on-one sessions with experienced engineers, entrepreneurs and clinicians, and a $1,000 grant to each team toward research and prototype development. This program is offered in partnership with TsaiCITY and CEID.
- “Medical Design and Innovation Panel”, Dr. Stuart Cambell, BME Yale; Dr. Lisa Lattanza, Orthopedics Yale, Mrinal Kumar, Ontrack Rehab, Dr. Pearlstone DICOM Director – event held in partnership with Yale BMES (Spr 2021)
- "COVID-19 and Real World Evidence”, Karen DeSalvo, Chief Health Officer, Google Health (Fall 2021)
- Innovation Insights, Jonathan Rothberg, PhD (GRD ‘91) Founder and Chief Strategy Officer of 4Catalyzer (2019)
- "Leading Digital Development at Bayer”, Jessica Federer, MPH, CDO Bayer (2018)
- "Health System Innovation and Partnering with CBIT”, Keith Churchwell, MD YNHHS Vice President and Executive Director of Yale New Haven Hospital’s Cardiovascular Services (2018)
- “Building a Board”, Carrie Rich, CEO Global Good Fund in partnership with CBEY (2017)
- “Lessons From Starting a Dozen Companies” Kevin Ryan, (YC ‘85) Founder & Chairman of Gilt, Business Insider, MongoDB, and Nomad Health (2016)
- “How to Understand the Customer and Market for your Biomedical Innovation”, Michael Dempsey, Medical Technology Innovator and CBIT entrepreneur-in-residence (2015)
- “Paradoxes and Perspectives on Innovation”, John Abele, Co-Founder and Director, Boston Scientific (2015)
- “Physician Driven Innovation”, David Whittaker, MD, Elm Street Ventures (2014)
- “Creating and Implementing Breakthrough Technologies", Robert Langer, PhD, MIT David H. Koch Institute Professor and prolific inventor (2014)